Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tandoori Grilled Chicken with Tomato Jam

My all-time favorite chef?  Bobby Flay.  No question, I have honestly never made one of his recipes that I didn't love.  This was my first time trying this recipe of his, and it did not let me down.  I think Kyle finished his in about 30 seconds.


OK, let me start my saying don't be intimidated by the ingredient list!  Here is what I do... I go to any specialty market (Whole Foods, Central Market, even the HEB in Houston, or an Indian market) and buy only the amount of the spices I need.  For instance, turmeric is not a spice I cook with very often at all.  Go to the bulk aisle and you can just scoop out exactly the amount you want.  Check this out...it only cost 12 cents!


OK, mix together the following spices...

  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cayenne
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt

Then mix in 1 1/2 Tbl. Vegetable Oil to form a paste.


In the meantime..start the tomato jam...Grill 1 roma tomato and 1 serrano pepper until charred.


Saute 1/2 white onion...


Mix in chopped tomato and serrano and add 1 Tbl. Red Wine Vinegar.  Saute until mixture thickens.

Set aside.

Rub the chicken breasts with the spice paste until completely covered and well absorbed.


Grill about 5 minutes per side.


Serve with tomato jam and cilantro-sour cream.


Tandoori Chicken
2 Chicken Breasts
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground cayenne
1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
1/2 tablespoon ground white pepper
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Tomato Jam
1 Roma Tomato
1 Serrano Pepper
1/2 Spanish White Onion
1 Tbl. Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment