Saturday, September 1, 2012

Jalapeno Mac and Cheese

My husband LOVES macaroni and cheese...like I think he could eat it for every meal for the rest of his life and be the happiest person ever.  I came up with this recipe when I was wanting to try some new spin of my regular macaroni recipe.  It has quickly become our very favorite!  I have already made it twice this weekend...



Add 1/2 chopped red onion and 2 Tablespoons of butter to a saute pan with some salt and pepper. 



Saute for about 5 minutes.  Then throw in 2 chopped jalapenos (you can take out the seeds if you want it less spicy) and 2 cloves of garlic, chopped.



Saute for another 5 minutes.  Add 2 tablespoons flour, stirring for about a minute until think "paste" forms.








Add 1 cup whole milk and stir until sauce thickens. 



Add in your cheeses.  I used cream cheese, jalapeno jack and cheddar.  Stir until combined.  At this point you need to taste to see if you need any more salt and pepper.  I added about a teaspoon of each.  Add 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard and a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it).  








Throw in your cooked pasta and stir to combine.








Now at this point, I like to top with breadcrumbs and broil for a few minutes.  My husband likes it just the way it is, so that is what I did this time.

This recipe is perfect for anything!  A summer barbeque, a thanksgiving or Christmas meal, or even a romantic date night!!



Jalapeno Mac and Cheese

1/2 Red onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
Salt
Pepper
2 Jalapenos, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
1 Cup whole milk
4 oz cream cheese
4 oz cheddar cheese
4 oz pepper jack cheese
Dry Mustard
Cayenne Pepepr
8 oz cooked pasta
Panko Breadcrumbs


No comments:

Post a Comment