Monday, July 11, 2011

Perfect Pesto

I don't always make homemade pesto...I have definitely been known to buy pre-made pesto before...but the homemade kind is SOOO much better.  Its a pretty healthy condiment that you can use on anything!!  Later this week I will show some of my favorites...but you can use it on sandwiches, on fish, on grilled chicken, tossed in pasta, or even just spread on some toasted bread.  Anyway, its delicious!


Start with 1/8 cup pine nuts, 1/4 cup Walnuts, and 3 cloves garlic.  Blend ingredients in a food processor until a paste forms. 



Add in 1/2 cup basil leaves, 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper.  Blend again. 


Add 1/4 olive oil and blend.  Add more oilve oil if necessary or depending on how think or thin you want your pesto to be.  I tend to like mine a little thicker, but just add more olive oil if you want to thin it out. 


Add 1/4 cup good quality, grated Parmesan cheese.  And blend 10 seconds more. 

Store in refrigerator for up to 4 days.  

Later this week I will use this to make a roasted tomato and Mozzarella sandwich and I will use it in my pesto potatoes!

Perfect Pesto
1/8 Cup Pine Nuts
1/4 Cup Walnuts
3 Cloves Garlic
1/2 Cup Basil, Packed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 Cup Oilve Oil, mor if needed
1/4 Cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to make my own pesto, now I will try it for sure!!

    ReplyDelete