Monday, July 18, 2011

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

I've actually never made pulled pork before...my husband loves it and always orders it at restaurants, so I gave it a try.  It was surprisingly easy, but you definitely need some time.  I would say at the least, 8 hours. 

Start with a 4-5 lb. Bone-in Boston Butt.  Make sure you get the bone-in kind, this will give it great flavor.


Next make a spice rub.  You can use a bottled one or make your own.  In mine I used cayenne, salt, pepper, paprika, brown sugar, and cumin.  I didn't really measure, just make sure you have enough to cover the entire piece of meat.


Cover the meat with the spice rub.  Take your time to thoroughly rub it in. 


Add 2 chopped white onions to the bottom of your slow cooker. 





Place the pork on top of the onions and add 1 Cup of water.  Set your timer for 6 hours.


I ended up cooking mime for another 2 hours, totaling 8 hours.  You will know when it is ready because the pork will fall apart when you pick it up.

Remove the pork from the pot and place on a plate.

Using tongs, remove the bone.  This is what it will look like.  It should slide out very easily.
Once the pork cools, shred it with either your hands or two forks.
Pour the liquid out of your slow cooker and return meat to the cooker to keep warm.

This is a pretty neutral flavored recipe, so you can spice it up however you want to serve it.  I added barbeque sauce to make barbeque pulled pork sandwiches.
I served them on these garlic rolls I found at Whole Foods.

Heat pork in a little olive oil in a skillet.  This will crisp up the edges and give it a great texture.

Serve on grilled rolls and top with a vinegar coleslaw.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
4-5 Lb. Boston Butt
Spice rub (any kind is fine)
2 White onions
1 Cup Water
Barbeque Sauce
Rolls
Cole Slaw for Serving

No comments:

Post a Comment