Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chicken Avocado Egg Rolls

I think some of my best recipes happen when I am trying to find a creative way to use the leftovers in my fridge and pantry!  I was in a daring mood today and I had some left over egg roll wrappers...so I thought I would give it a shot.  Kyle and I had these unbelievable Chicken Egg rolls and this Chinese restaurant in Houston called Yao's.  They served them with this delicious peanut dipping sauce...  I already had a great recipe for a spicy peanut dipping sauce!  I've never made egg rolls before and come to find out, they are surprisingly pretty easy!  We absolutely LOVED this recipe, hope you enjoy!



Start with the filling...it has to cool down before you can use it, so give yourself an extra thirty minutes or so to cool it down.  Saute 1 chopped shallot, 3 chopped cloves of garlic, and 1 Tbl. chopped fresh ginger in 2 Tbl. Olive oil for about 5 minutes.


Add Sliced Zucchini, Mushrooms and Chopped, Grilled Chicken saute for 2-3 minutes.


Add Broccoli Slaw and saute for another 1 minute.  This is the kind I use.  You can find it at the grocery store in the lettuce aisle.




Add 2 Tbl. Soy Sauce and remove from heat and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. 


While the mixture is cooling, You can make the dipping sauce...


Blend all ingredients in a food processor:  1/2 C Creamy peanut Butter, 1/4 C Chicken Broth, 1/4 C Water, 3 Tbl. Soy Sauce, 1 Lime, Juiced, 1 Tbl. Brown Sugar, 1 Tbl. Sriracha (Hot Chile Sauce), 1 Shallot, Chopped, 1 Clove Garlic, Chopped, 1 Tbl. Minced Ginger, 1 Tbl. Crushed Red Pepper.


Sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.

Now to the egg rolls...These are the wrappers I used.  I found them in the cold section by the tofu.


Lay out 1 skin on plastic wrap with corner facing you and put about 1/4 cup of the mixture toward the bottom...                                Fold the bottom corner up...         

                            

Then fold the 2 sides in...               Then roll tightly, ensuring not to tear the wrapper...



Lay egg rolls seam-side down on a plate until you are ready to fry.  Prepare a bowl with 2 eggs and 1 Tbl. milk.


Carefully dip each egg roll into the egg mixture, drain well and place seam side down into 1/2 inch deep heated peanut oil. 


Fry 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.  Lay on paper towel to drain excess oil.  Serve with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce...


Avocado Egg Rolls
12 Egg Roll Wrappers
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
1 Shallot, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
1 Tbl. Fresh Ginger, Chopped
1/4 C Zucchini, Chopped
1/4 C Mushrooms, Chopped
1/2 C Grilled Chicken, Chopped
1/2 C Broccoli Slaw
2 Tbl. Soy Sauce
2 Eggs
1 Tbl. Milk
1 C Peanut Oil for Frying

Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
1/2 C Creamy Peanut Butter
1/4 C Chicken Broth
1/4 C Water
3 Tbl. Soy Sauce
1 Lime, Juiced
1 Tbl. Brown Sugar
1 Tbl. Sriracha (Hot Chile Sauce)
1 Shallot, Chopped
1 Clove Garlic, Chopped
1 Tbl. Minced Ginger
1 Tbl. Crushed Red Pepper

2 comments:

  1. Jana, all of these recipes look incredible! I love that you have this blog - I really want to try a lot of these recipes. Love you and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, I made egg rolls the other night. It had been about ten years since I made them, I forgot to let the mixins cool down. Made a few leaks in the wrapper and had to dodge grease rockets when the water hit the grease. But all in all,a nice little snack, and really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete