Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Grilled Mushroom and Goat Cheese Sandwich

OK, this is one of my husband's favorite meals.  I know a "vegetable sandwich" doesn't sound that amazing...but there are so many good flavors in this one!  I would challenge anyone who thinks they need meat in every meal to try this! 



The onions will take the longest to cook, so we will start with those first.  Chop 1/2 White Onion and put them in a pan with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Turn the heat to med-low, stirring every 10 minutes or so.  I usually cook mine for about 45 minutes.  I like them to get a deep caramel color.  If you don't have that much time, you can turn the heat up and saute for about 10 minutes. 


Next Mushrooms and Zucchini...Slice each to be about 1/4 inch thick.  You want them thick enough to hold up on the grill. 


Brush each side with olive oil and place them on the grill over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side. 


While the vegetables are grilling, slice the tomato and avocado. 


When your vegetables are almost finished grilling, put your bread on the top rack of the grill for about 2 minutes to crisp up.  I use ciabatta rolls.  You can find them in most grocery stores in the bakery.


Spread goat cheese on one side and pesto on the other.  I usually use a jar pesto...unless I am feeling crazy and make my own!!

 
Layer the sandwich starting with zucchini, then mushrooms, then caramelized onion...


Top with the tomatoes and avocado...



I serve mine with Sweet potato chips (recipe to come) and roasted corn!!



Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
1/2 White Onion
1 Zucchini, Sliced
1/2 Lb. Mushrooms, Sliced
1/2 Tomato, Sliced
1/2 Avocado, Sliced
2 Ciabatta Rolls
2 Tbl. Goat Cheese
2Tbl. Pesto

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so good!! I just might have to make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since Jana made these for us in Fredericksburg, we have been hooked. Even if you think you won't like a veggie sandwich, these are sure to change your mind!!

    ReplyDelete