Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Homemade Tomato Sauce

We LOVE pasta.  In fact, I think Kyle would eat pasta for every meal if I made it!  I don't make it for every meal, cause it can be so unhealthy!  I discovered this gnocchi a year or so ago...it is different from regular potato gnocchi because it is made with sweet potatoes.  In fact, 70% of the gnocchi is "mashed sweet potatoes".  Coupled with my super simple tomato sauce, it's a great pasta meal that you can feel a little better about eating!



For the Sauce, start with 1/2 Spanish White Onion.  Chop and saute in 2 Tbl. Olive oil with salt and pepper. over medium-high heat. 

After about 5 minutes, add 4 cloves chopped garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes.



Then add your herbs (1 Tbl. dried basil, 1 Tbl. Dried Oregano, 1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes) and 1 Tbl. Butter.  Saute for about 2 minutes.



These are the tomatoes I use.  You can really use whatever you have on hand.  I like to choose ones that don't have any extra salt added and usually pick ones that are imported from Italy (I think they are a little better).  You can use whatever you want, whole, diced, crushed, etc. just depending on what consistency you are looking for. I use 1 28oz. can.



Add your Tomatoes, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes (I like to taste after about 15 minutes to see if I want to add more salt - I like the salt to cook into the sauce instead of adding it all at the end).



When your sauce is almost done, boil your gnocchi according to the package.   DO NOT RINSE!! (this is something I learned not too long ago...if you rinse the pasta, it will rinse away all of the starches on the pasta and the sauce will not stick!)


Reserve a little of the cooking liquid from the pasta when you drain it to thin your sauce if necessary. Toss your pasta with half of the sauce (this recipe makes a double batch) and a bit of your pasta water.



I serve mine with crusty bread and top with a little goat cheese (left over from my Grilled Mushroom Sandwiches).  You could add Parmesan, ricotta, mozzarella, etc.)

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Homemade Tomato Sauce
1/2 Spanish White Onion, Chopped
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
1 Tbl. Dried Basil
1Tbl. Dried Oregano
1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1 Tbl. Butter
1 28oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
1 Pkg. Whole Wheat Gnocchi
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Bread for Serving

1 comment:

  1. I was hesitant about this one because Don is not a pasta lover anyway, AND I don't usually make my own sauce, but it turned out so great that even he absolutely loved it, and it's easy to make!!

    ReplyDelete